KeiS a medical professional

This is a blog about the scientific basis of medicine. A judo therapist reads research papers for study and writes about them.

sponsorlink

"The Psychological Meaning of Frequent Use of "I talk.

Saturday, October 23, 2021

psychology

The Story of the "I" Chase: Psychological Implications of Self-Referential Language Use

First published: October 19, 2021 https://doi.org/10.1111/spc3.12647

Description

This study reviews the psychological consequences of the use of first person singular pronouns ("I-talk").

The general intuition is that I-talk is associated with an overly positive, highly agentic and inflated view of the self, including arrogance, egocentricity and grandiose narcissism.

Early research provided evidence that frequent I-talk is associated with grandiose narcissism, but more recent research has shown that the correlation is nearly zero.

Frequent I-talk is positively correlated with depressive symptoms, neurotic tendencies, and also with a variety of neurotic narcissism called vulnerable narcissism.

In addition, frequent I-talk was positively associated with sociodemographic characteristics such as (low) status, (young) age, and (female) gender, so I-talk had a conditional association with truth-telling and authenticity.

Since this would be a correlation that appears to be context dependent, the content of this review was to summarize the literature on I-talk, provide some speculation about the emerging psychological meaning of I-talk, and provide a guide for future research.

QooQ