KeiS a medical professional

This is a blog about the scientific basis of medicine. A judo therapist reads research papers for study and writes about them.

sponsorlink

A test to examine the communication skills of healthcare professionals

Monday, May 3, 2021

therapists

What are your communication skills? What are your communication skills?

Do you have confidence in your communication skills?

I've had the experience that when I ask this question, people who really have good communication skills often answer that they are not confident, that they are normal, while people who have difficulty with communication skills can answer that they are confident.I am not going to mention this in this article, but you can actually test yourself to find out if you have good communication skills.

Communication Skills Test

There was a study that investigated communication skills using a scale designed for healthcare professionals.

They had 410 medical professionals at a hospital in the Murcia region of Spain fill out the following questionnaire.

The results suggested that a high score on the questionnaire might indicate the possibility of providing high quality medical care and also that the psychological care of the medical professionals would be sufficient.

This is a six-step check formula.

Almost never but 1 point

I do it occasionally is 2 points

Sometimes I do it is 3 points

Usually do it 4 points

I do it frequently is 5 points

If I do it regularly and often, 6 points


1. I respect the right of the patient himself/herself to express him/herself freely.

2. I read the emotions of the patients for whom I am responsible.

3.I respect the autonomy and freedom of my patients.

4.I respond with gestures when the patient speaks.

5.I will provide the patient with the information he or she needs to the extent permitted (within the scope of my qualifications).


6.I will treat patients without prejudice to their appearance, habits, or expressions.

7.I will clearly communicate my opinions and requests to patients.

8. I may use silence to allow the patient to make choices when I provide information.

9. I use clear language when providing information to patients.

10. I communicate my differing opinions or discomfort when the patient does something that makes me uncomfortable.


11. I try to understand the feelings of the patients I treat.

12.When interacting with patients, I will clearly express my own opinions.

13.I believe that patients have the right to receive health information.

14.I will respect the needs of my patients.

15.I will look for ways to meet the difficult needs of my patients.

16.I make sure that the information I provide to the patient is understood.

17.I find it difficult to ask my patients for information.


What do you think?

The median score of those who responded in this study was 80 points, so we could use that as a baseline for considering high and low communication skills.

In case you're wondering, there is no mention of how many points or less is a communicative failure.

Summary

In the past, I have tried to quantify the skills of health care workers using this content, and although the results were not always accurate, the scores of those with communication skills were low.

But the score of those who had difficulties in communication skills was low. If you ask me, does a high score mean you are providing high quality service?

At first glance, it seemed as if they were communicating well, but there were situations where they were not giving patients choices, or were forcing services on them, which was almost like sales.I guess everything is what you make it out to be, but I don't know if quality service is provided just because you have the skills.

At least when you receive medical services, consider that when a medical professional says, "You should definitely ________," there are times when commercial interests take precedence.

If it's from a decent medical professional, there are _____ and _____, what do you want to do? What do you want to do? What do you want to do?

QooQ